Saturday, January 31, 2009

I MADE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a feeling!!
The guy behind my bike rode from Alaska to Ushuaia, you are looking at the end of his six month journey!
The city of Ushuaia, Argentina....Next stop, Antarctica!
Sat. Jan. 31

I MADE IT TO USHUAIA !!! I am at the end of the world in Ushuaia, Argentina. (Latitude: 54°49'49.91"S Logitude: 68°33'46.69"W). The farthest place south on earth that you can drive to. Just want to let you all know that all has gone well so far. I am having problems uploading pictures at the moment and will have to wait until I can get a better connection. The last 50 miles of this adventure made it worth all the pain. Tierra Del Fuego starts out a bit bland, but the closer you get to Ushuaia, the more beautiful it becomes. The last 50 miles reminded me of the Rocky Mountains in Utah, and is your reward for getting here. You are surrounded by huge mountains all around, with lakes tucked into the valleys, and the road is a biker's dream with lots of twisties! The scenery is fantastic. A few days ago, when I was riding thru Chile with Felipe, he mentioned that I might run into a few guys that he met on his travels. He described the three individuals and the bikes they were on. One of the bikes stuck out in my mind because it was an older yellow R1150GS. I never thought much about it because after all, what are the chances of running into the same three guys out here in the middle of South America? Well….as I pulled into the parking area at literally the very end of the road in Ushuaia, a very famous spot for Adventure Riders, who should I bump into? Yep, the three guys that Felipe told me about! One of the guys, a man from Spain, started his trip in ALASKA and drove all the way to Ushuaia and I was there to witness the end of his six month journey. One of the guys offered to take my picture beside the world famous marker at the end of Argentina Route 3 the farthest point you can drive to going south. Then we took a group shot before going into Ushuaia to the hotel they are staying. That is where I am at this moment, the Hotel Canal Beagle in down town Ushuaia, Argentina. I plan to start heading back to my Aunt’s in Chufquen in the morning. A four day journey I estimate.

No comments: