Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Off To Ushuaia

Packed and ready to go
Famous Puente Malleco Rail Bridge
Tue. Jan. 20

The trip to Ushuaia, Argentina has officially begun. This morning, just after 9:00am I left my Aunt’s house in Santiago and worked my way thru the rush hour traffic to the Pan-American Highway then turned south. The morning sky was clear as could be, and you could already tell it was going to be a hot day. By mid afternoon there was no escaping the heat. Even on the motorcycle at 75 miles per hour there was no relief. It was HOT! Door to door, eight hours on the dot. I pulled into the Ranch at exactly 5:00pm. The plan now is to stick around here a couple of days, and on Friday I will head south to the port city of Puerto Montt. There I will go to the Ferry company and reserve my spot for the Sunday morning (10:00am) voyage from Quellon to Chaiten. Not sure how long the trip takes, but I figure three, maybe four hours, not sure.

2 comments:

Rob said...

I would be interested in details of the ferry company you are using to get to Chaiten. Enjoy your trip to Ushuaia. I'm sure it will be wonderful.

Robert Guzman said...

The company is called Naviera Austral. There is an office in Puerto Montt and in Quellon on the island of Chiloe, where I am at this moment. http://www.navieraustral.cl/