Saturday, January 31, 2009

Heading To Chile Chico

Carretera Austral (Southern Road)
Carretera Austral is a rough gravel road that runs down the middle of the Andes Mountains in the south of Chile. How's that for breath taking scenery?
Wed. Jan. 28

Leaving Coyhaique this morning, Felipe and I headed south on Rt. 7 to the small border town of Chile Chico. Most of the day was spent riding around the second largest lake in South America, Lago Buenos Aires or Lago General Carrera, depending on what side of the border you are on. The lake straddles both Chile and Argentina. This has to be one of the most beautiful lakes I have ever seen, because not only of it’s location high in the Andes, but because of its deep turquoise colored water. As I said, this is a big lake and the road around it is rough dirt and gravel, so it took the best part of the day to ride around it, stopping once at a roadside Hostle to get something to drink. Continuing on, we arrived at a fork in the road, Felipe and I stopped and had a gentleman that was sitting near by in a pickup truck, take our picture together with our bikes. After the picture, Felipe and I shook hands, said good bye and Felipe went West toward Puerto Yungay and I went East to Chile Chico. In Chile Chico, I fueled up and found a hotel for the night. I went to a local restaurant for dinner and met an American from California that had ridden his bike all the way down to Ushuaia, and was now on his way back. We had a conversation for a while and he filled me in on much of what I would encounter on my way to Ushuaia. One thing he mentioned, and I have heard it from many sources, was the hellacious winds I would run into on the east side of Argentina. He was very helpful.

No comments: