Friday, January 16, 2009

Another Postponement

The BMW dealer in Santiago, Chile
A nice place high in the Andes Mountains for lunch
Thurday Jan. 15
I have to stop visiting the BMW dealer here in Santiago, because every time I do, my trip gets pushed further and further back. Since my bike has two recalls, one relating to break lines and one to the system that recognizes the ignition key when it's inserted, I was told that if the bike is received by the dealer for any kind of service, the recalls MUST be done before the vehicle can go back out on the road. This work adds a lot more complexity to the job, and will take much more time. The short story....I can't head south until Tuesday. Moving on... I took a nice ride up into the Andes Mountains near Santiago this afternoon to the area of Farellones and Valle Nevado. Although it was over 90 degrees in Santiago when I left, by the time I reached Valle Nevado, at an altitude of nearly 7,900 ft., I had to turn around, because I had no jacket and the temperature changed drastically. As I began my ride back down, the temperature became more tolerable fairly quickly. By the time I reached Farellones, I was already comfortable again. Near Farellones I stopped at "Posada Farellones" for lunch since it was already about two o'clock in the afternoon. The areas of Farellones and Valle Nevado are very popular in winter since they are ski areas; consequently, there isn't much people traffic up here in the summer. Lunch at Posada Farellones was peaceful as you might expect, just me and the cook, but the meal at nearly 7,900 feet was very good. While up here in the mountains, I also took the opportunity to try the new Metzler Tourance tires out in some challenging off road. The tires handled very well in the lose dirt and very rocky terrain. They held the road without slipping or sliding in the rutty terrain. I’m very pleased with them so far. After that, it was back to the heat of Santiago. It’s going to be 91 and sunny again today. I’d like to be the weather man here, because you only need one forecast!......."91 and sunny today….now back to you in the studio! "


No comments: