Thursday, February 5, 2009

Leaving The End Of The World Behind

Statue in Puerto Natales
The Hostal I stayed in, I was very well received.
Sun. Feb. 1

This morning leaving Ushuaia and the end of the world behind, I rode out of town in a steady rain. Can’t complain though, because I have been very fortunate as far as weather goes in this part of the world. To come into Ushuaia for the very first time and have a day with no rain and even some sunshine, it’s a good day! After less than an hour the rain cleared up and the sun came out for the rest of the day, although it was still cool and I reencountered those winds once I got out of the mountains. Passing thru customs at the border once again, I continued a short way and came across a group of riders that stopped at a roadside cafe. There I bumped into an aquaintace that I met in Vermont a couple of years ago at a BMW National Rally. The person was none other than Ron Ayers, owner and operator of Ayers Adventure Tours. I had to go in and say hi to Ron, because while in Vermont we discussed the possibility of my becoming a guide for his South American Tours. After my chat with Ron, I continued to the Ferry that would take me back across the Straights Of Magellan. When I arrived at the Ferry to cross the Straights of Magellan again, the Ferry was waiting for me and in minutes we where on our way to the mainland. There were black and white Dolphins following, and playing, all around the boat, but I saw them too late to take pictures as we where just about to reach the other side. The Spanish guy who rode from Alaska to Ushuaia told me I should not miss Torres Del Paine National Park in Chile, since I was so close to it, so rather than going north on Rt. 3, I headed west back into Chile’s Andes Mountains and to the town of Puerto Natales. Shortly before reaching Puerto Natales I came to a police check point were there where two other riders as I arrived. The police asked all of us for our documents, and where we were coming from, and after processing each one of us, let us go on our way. Just as I was going to pull away, the Top Cop came out and asked me, “How did you get from Ushuaia, Argentina to Puerto Natales in record time”? Ooooops!
Ummmm, Well, Uh! I thought the speed limits down here were just suggestions, because even though I was averaging 75 mph I was usually being left in the dust by most drivers, especially in Argentina. Besides, you rarely see a speed limit sign out here. Any ways, he was very pleasant and almost kidding me about it, but I got the message loud and clear! He let me go. I continued to Puerto Natales, where I am now. In the morning I’m off to Torres Del Paine National Park, a very beautiful place from all I have seen of it on TV and the Internet.

No comments: