Saturday, February 14, 2009

Volcanoes and Champagne

Lava field from Volcan Llaima
The Champagne crowd
Sat. Feb. 14

Happy Valentine’s Day !!

I decided to take off to Parque Nacional Conguillio this morning, since I have been lying pretty low since I returned from Ushuaia. The Park encompasses the Llaima volcano that was in eruption last year at this time. The ride took me thru the towns of Victoria, then to Curacautin and then up toward the Park. As I entered the park, I came to a scenic overlook, so I stopped to take a couple of pictures. There were a few other people there at the time, and as I got off the bike and said Hi to them, they asked where I was coming from, so I told them, and before I new it, I was handed a glass of Champagne and offered some home made spicy ham. You know, everywhere I have been, on this trip, the people I’ve met have been so, so nice. I can’t say enough about the people in this part of the world. It’s like, once you strike up a conversation with them, you become part of the family. I mean, here I am in the middle of nowhere on the side of a volcano, and I stop to take a picture, and the next thing I know, I’m drinking Champagne with people I just met! It doesn’t get much better than that! Any how, after a few pictures of me and a few of them, I was off again down the very rough roads leading into the Park. I went up to the Ski Center and then back to Chufquen via Temuco.

No comments: