Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Long Haul To Bariloche

A great place to dine in Bariloche
Tue. Feb. 3

Up and on the road at 5:30am this morning! Today I want to make it to Bariloche, not an easy task, it’s a long way! Averaging probably 75 miles an hour, I drove 15 hours before finally shutting the bike down in Bariloche. There were parts of my body that I couldn’t even feel anymore. I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to sit down again! After stopping for gas in Esquel, I drove north to Bariloche passing thru the town of El Bolson. A very quaint town full of all kinds of stores for the tourists. This last stretch from Esquel to Bariloche was very, very scenic, and I spent a lot of time riding on the sides of my tires! Any Hoo, one of the main reasons for wanting to get to Bariloche had to do with a place called “La Parrilla de Julian”, an eatery I discovered last year on my first trip to Bariloche. That is where you can get some of the best steak I have ever had! Arriving in Bariloche, I went to the same hotel as last year, right on the lakeshore and got a room. After a well deserved shower, I headed right over to Julian’s for a meal to top off a very long trip. At Julian's, I ordered the 800 gram steak (half a cow), a salad, and an ice cold beer. Julian came to my table and remembered me from last year, because of my bike. Julian makes a point to go to each table and speak with his guests. A very nice man! After a wondeful meal, it was back to the hotel to get some sleep, and in the morning I would drive the final six hours to Chufquen, my Aunt’s ranch. This will be the end of a trip to the far southern tip of South America that has lasted sixteen days.

No comments: