Friday, December 5, 2008

REVISED ROUTE



I have been studying the maps a little closer lately to see if there is a route that would take me primarily down the Chilean side of the Andes Mountains staying on the road called "La Carretera Austral" ("The Southern Road" marked in YELLOW). Taking this route would mean that there would be some Ferry crossings involved (marked in BLUE), so this morning I contacted the Ferry company http://www.navieraustral.cl/, in that part of Chile,to get some up to date information. I had hoped to ride to the town of Hornopiren and take the Ferry from there to the town of Caleta Gonzalo (marked in RED) and then ride on to Chaiten and points south. Good thing I called, because I found out that the Ferry between Hornopiren and Caleta Gonzalo is not running. Instead, I will have to take the short Ferry from Pargua, on the mainland just south of Puerto Montt, to Chacao on the island of Chiloe, a trip I have made before. Once on the island, I will ride to the town of Castro about half way down the island of Chiloe, where I can board a Ferry that will take me to Chaiten. I am a bit surprised that the Ferry is still running to Chaiten since the town was pretty much destroyed by the eruption of the near-by volcano back in May of this year, but I was assured the Ferry is running to Chaiten.

No comments: